Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

What is in my 72 hour kit, or Go-Bag.

If you are stranded somewhere without any other source of food than what you have in your bag, you really begin to see what types of food to pack in the future.

I attended the Glenn Beck Aug. 28, 2010 event in Washington D.C., and brought a small cooler with me.  It had food and water in it for 24 hours.  I paid special attention to what I liked and what I wished I had.

(Note:  Most emergency preparedness people do not call this a "72 hour kit" anymore, because you should actually have more than 3 days worth of food.  Probably 5 days is better. So a lot of people are calling it a "Go-Bag" instead.

 And the Church doesn't specifically teach "72 hour kits", they basically teach us to get 3 months of short-term food and then get long term food storage.)

While I was in D.C.,  I realized for each meal I wanted something savory, something starchy, some fresh vegetables and then something sweet.  I would NOT have been happy if all I had were granola bars.

So, for my 72 hour kit, I made sure to get all those different flavors.  And enough of each to have 5 days of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, for the 3 people living at my house.  I actually made a chart of each meal, and what to have for each meal, to make sure I had enough.  We won't be very full, but we will have food to eat for 5 days.

The one food group I wish I had more of is vegetables and fruits.  I'll try to add more of those next time.

As you can see, there are a lot of items that need to be rotated.  So my plan is to rotate the food every General Conference.  So this weekend we will start eating a lot of junk food.

No comments:

Post a Comment