Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Biscuits on My First Try

Confession:  I have always made biscuits from a poppin-fresh can.  Today I changed my ways.

I told my family that we are going to eat "from scratch" foods from now on, so I can learn to use my food storage.

Today I wanted to bake something, so I opened up a cookbook and decided to try biscuits.  I changed the all-purpose flour to freshly ground wheat flour (white wheat), and I changed the milk to powdered milk powder and water.  I have found that when I am using powdered milk or powdered eggs in a recipe, just add the dry ingredients with the dry, and the water with the wet.  It is MUCH easier than trying to reconstitute the milk or eggs before using them.




Biscuits Supreme- Using food storage
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white wheat)
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons powdered milk powder
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup water
Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt, and milk powder.
Cut in shortening (with a pastry cutter or whatever its called) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Make a well in the center; add water all at once.  Stir just until dough clings together.
Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface, dump the dough on it and put flour on your hands.  Knead the dough gently for 10 or 12 strokes.  Roll or pat to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut, dipping cutter in flour between cuts.
Bake in 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until golden.  Makes 10-12 biscuits. 
(I adapted this recipe from the book “Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorite Bread Recipes”.)



When the biscuits came out of the oven, Wayne and Zac crowded around and started gobbling them down, saying they were the best biscuits they ever had.  I asked it they could tell I made them from wheat flour, and they said no.

Then I went on to make the rest of the meal out of food storage, just a silly recipe that my mom used to make.  

"Peas and Tuna on Toast" (only this was on biscuits).

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (leave it thick, don't add water.)
1 can tuna
1 can peas.

Heat it and put over bread, toast, or biscuits.

As the "coup de grace" we also had dessert straight from food storage.  Our dessert was eating the rest of the biscuits with canned butter*, and honey.

It was a 100% from food storage meal.  I felt proud.


*I bought Red Feather brand canned butter in 2009, in 12 oz. cans,  and we opened a can last week to see if it was still good.  It is delicious!  Tastes exactly like fresh butter.  However, the cost is very high.  I would rather learn to can my own butter instead of buying any more of that.  But it definitely is delicious.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy. I was impressed and inspired to try it myself. FYI I had been looking for a canned butter recipe for a while. I have found is that there is no safe, approved way to can butter. I have seen people can butter but only on youtube type places. all of the reliable places said it is not safe. If you find one let me know please. Nickey

    ReplyDelete