Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Introduction to the Greensboro Cannery, part 2

I needed to arrive in Greensboro at exactly 9 am on a Tuesday. I left my home in Morrisville at 7:15 am and was about 15 minutes early. There was a man and a woman from another stake canning with me. Here are some pictures of my adventure there.




As you are canning the food, there may be extra cans that your group does not buy. The next group can buy those. I came home with a can of dehydrated carrots and two cans of powdered milk that we didn’t can ourselves.



First, you have to put on a disposable apron, cap, and gloves. You must wear closed toed shoes. I needed a rubber band for my hair, I have long hair and it didn’t want to say inside the cap.

Second, all the cans need wiped out, to get rid of dust, then we set them on the table.







Then, we started scooping the commodity into the cans. Here, I am scooping macaroni.







When several cans were full, we put oxygen packets on top, then laid the lids on.





This man crimped the lids on with this dry canning machine.





Then we put the labels on, and the food was ready for us, or others, to buy.
Bring checks or cash, they don’t take credit cards.


I am arranging some cannery trips for our ward. If you want to send a check and an order, the people going there can pick it up for you. Or you can come with us and help us can it. The tentative dates are Thursday Nov. 18, 9 am, Saturday Nov. 20 at 9 am. Or Tues. Nov. 23 at 9 am. Please call or email me (Amy) if you want to go or if you want to send an order. This offer is for Morrisville or Green Level ward only. You must get my email or phone off the ward list.

If you want to make an appointment for yourself at some other time, call the cannery at 336-287-1767.

Tomorrow: Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment