Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Experience Doing the No Fridge challenge: Monday


(This is a continuation of my report of doing the Shelf Stable challenge in my ward.  I had to live without a fridge or freezer for 2 1/2 days.)


Monday breakfast for 1 adult

  I wanted cold cereal but couldn’t deal with putting warm powdered milk on it.  Instead, I made hot cereal,  so the warm powdered milk didn’t bother me.

1 banana
2 packages of Maple and Brown Sugar instant oatmeal
1 tsp. powdered milk
boiling water

Monday lunch for 2 adults

I made one box of Hamburger Helper.   

1 box Hamburger Helper
a little powdered milk
tapwater
1 pint canned ground beef (I canned this last year.)



Ingredients for Turkey and Dressing Casserole (substituting chicken)




Monday Supper for 1 adult 
I made Turkey and Dressing Casserole, but substituted canned chicken.  (There was about 3/4 of this left over.)

Sauce:
1 can chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 Tablespoon powdered milk and 1/4 cup water.
1 can peas.

Dressing:
Water
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil instead of butter
1 box Stovetop stuffing

 I realized that I could only make a small meal each time, we couldn’t open more cans than we could consume since there is no refrigeration.
I am accustomed to making more than we can eat, and putting the rest in the fridge, and eating it for leftovers the next day.

I might rethink buying large cans.  Small cans would be quicker to consume before they spoil from lack of refrigeration.



Monday night snack for 1 adult
I craved sweets so I made a little amount of buttercream frosting (powdered sugar, powdered margarine, powdered milk, water), stirred it until it was the right consistency, and ate it on graham crackers.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment