Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Experience doing the No Fridge Challenge: Tuesday


(This is a continuation of my report of doing the Shelf Stable Challenge in my ward.  I had to live without a fridge or freezer for 2 1/2 days.)


Tuesday:
 We have been drinking tapwater, or room-temperature Crystal Light. The house is air conditioned so at least the drinks are a little cool, not warm.  But I want cold milk!


Tuesday breakfast for one adult.
I ate instant oatmeal again.

2 packages of Maple and Brown Sugar instant oatmeal
1 tsp. powdered milk
boiling water



Tuesday Lunch for 1 adult, 3 children.
Three of my grandchildren were here for lunch.  I had to figure out what to feed toddlers.  We had no bread left.  This is what I made:

Instant mashed potatoes
1 jar applesauce (they almost ate the whole thing)
1 banana
1 can mandarin oranges
1 container baby food
Ritz crackers, peanut butter.
Water to drink.

They all seemed happy with the meal.


Tuesday Supper for 1 adult.
I was sick of the food in the pantry.  I didn’t want to cook.  I have to confess that I ate very badly.  I ate the rest of the applesauce, Doritoes, and peanut butter and honey on Ritz crackers.  I know that is a terrible supper.  I wonder what it will be like when we have an actual disaster and our shelf stable food is REALLY the only thing we can eat?  We better be prepared.


Wednesday morning:
The challenge is over!  The first thing I had was a glass of cold milk.  I had really missed that!


Things I learned:
It is going to be difficult not having cold milk.
I missed eating cheese.
We are going to have to open small cans and use them up the same day.
Food in big cans will probably spoil before we eat it all.
We must remember to get foods that children will eat.
Crackers are a good substitute when you don’t have bread.
Vegetable oil can substitute for butter in cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment