Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

My Experience doing the No Fridge challenge: Sunday


I was out of town for both weekends that our ward was doing the Shelf Stable challenge.  The rules were to tape your fridge and freezer shut from Sunday after church until Wednesday breakfast.  Don't use anything from the fridge or freezer during that time.  Don't use any ice.  See if you have enough shelf stable food in your house to make nourishing meals for those 2 1/2 days.


On Sunday Aug. 26 after church, I surprised my husband and 18 year old son by taping shut the fridge and freezer and telling them we were going to participate in the challenge.  (It was a week late, but I say, Better late than never.)

My son never really went along with it.  He cheated and kept getting the milk out.  My husband is on Nutrisystem so he was eating separately.

I was a little stricter on myself than I had required in the rules of the challenge.   I decided not to go shopping at all, so I could see what I would run out of.  I also decided to leave food out, since in a disaster you couldn’t put leftovers away in the fridge to keep them fresh.

I kept notes of what I ate.  Here is the list:


Sunday after church:

Luckily I had just baked bread and made cookies the night before, so we had plenty for the first day.  

When I came home from church, I noticed we had very little butter in our butter dish (which we don't refrigerate).  That was gone within the first day.


Sunday Lunch, for 1 adult.  
Half a can of Beef Barley soup.
One slice bread.
some Doritoes
Half an apple.
Tap water to drink.

Because I was pretending the power was out, I left the rest of the soup out of the fridge.


Sunday afternoon snack for 1 adult.
The other half of the soup.  (I didn't want it to spoil.)
Some fritos.




Sunday supper for  7 adults, 2 babies.

Some of our married kids and grandkids came over. I made BBQ Pork sandwiches, it was a good supper.

1 quart canned pork (I canned this last year.)
BBQ sauce.
6 hamburger buns  (that was all we had.)
3 pieces of bread
1 can green beans
1 can pears
1 can baked beans
some Tostitoes
8 cookies (now the cookies are gone.) 
tap water to drink.

We pretty much ate everything, so there were no leftovers to spoil without power.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment