Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

#8 Presentation at MV Ward- More Long Term

Part 8- Presentation given by Amy at the Morrisville Ward, North Carolina, combined RS/Priesthood, Aug. 29, 2010. I will post the rest of the presentation in the next few days.

You need to think about these items for your long term storage.

MEAT
I guess the nutritionists tell us that if we have corn and beans, or wheat, we can obtain all the essential nutrients and we will stay alive. However, I still want to store some meat. I want to still have the foods that I am accustomed to eating now.

I store lots of cans of canned chicken, it is about $2.45 a pound now in cans at Sam's.
I store canned tuna.

And now I have learned to do pressure canning. Just a few weeks ago we bought a 16 quart pressure canner for $64 at Walmart. Jars were $8.50 for a dozen, including lids and rings. I have already canned ground beef, pork, and roast beef. We will have a class on it in RS sometime. It makes me feel very happy not to have to rely on electricity to keep my meat frozen.


DAIRY

Powdered milk: Best tasting instant: Provident Pantry brand, Emergency Essentials
Best tasting non-instant: Rainy Day brand, Walton Feed. (From April 26, 2010 FoodStorageMadeEasy)

Cheese: I’m going to be a very sad girl if I don’t have cheese in my diet. Here are ways to store cheese: Powdered cheese, grated frozen cheese, dehydrated shredded cheese, canned cheese. I might want to learn how to wax cheese, I heard it will last 25 years. We will have a class on that as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Butter: You can store butter-flavor Crisco to use for baking. I've seen dehydrated butter powder but I've never tried it.

Eggs: I love to use powdered eggs in all my baking.


WHERE TO STORE FOOD
I showed photos of my food storage table in living room, which is just buckets of food covered with a board and a tablecloth. I have water storage behind the clothes hanging in the closet, and behind the sofa. I need volunteers from the ward to please allow me to take pictures of your food storage, I won’t tell names. I would love to put together a powerpoint presentation of the ways you have stored your food.

How to get more food storage? Ask for food storage items for Christmas and birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment