Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

22 Year Old Applesauce





I recently opened a #10 can of applesauce which I purchased in 1988. I reconstituted the powdered applesauce, and made applesauce muffins. They tasted just fine! (I wasn't courageous enough to taste the applesauce, but Wayne did, and said it tasted just like applesauce.)

Of course you shouldn't wait 22 years to use your food storage, but that just shows you that sometimes it will still be good.

My Plan: Now that I know it keeps so long, I'm going to buy some more cans of dehydrated applesauce. Why?

Because I have been using regular grocery-store applesauce as a substitute for oil in a lot of my baking recipes. (Cutting out oil is a good way to lower the calories in a baked item. )

So, if Oil Equals Applesauce in a lot of my baking recipes, and

Oil has a short shelf life and dehydrated applesauce has a long shelf life,

Then, I'm going to store a bunch of applesauce to replace about half the oil I had planned to store.

Reminder: Remember to attend tomorrow night!
You are invited:

Family Communication Plan: Have One Before Disaster Strikes!,
Taught by Phyllis B.
In a disaster will you know how to contact your family? Will they know where you are? Will they know your plans? Will your cell phone work?...

Morrisville Relief Society evening meeting, Thursday Sept. 9, 2010, 7 pm. in the Morrisville building RS room. Guests, and members of the Green Level ward are also invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment