Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our Family's Experience with turning off the furnace

We got home from church Sunday and turned both our upstairs and downstairs furnaces to "off".  I put on warm clothing and waited for the temperature to drop inside our house.

Surprisingly, I never got cold, in fact I started feeling too warm!

I went into the other room, and found that my husband, W., had turned on the gas log, and the whole house was getting quite warm.

I complained, "I was trying to test how many layers of clothing I needed to live comfortably in a cold house!", and W. said, "Oh, I thought we were trying to test whether we could keep the house the same temperature with or without electricity."

I turned off the gas log, and we spent the rest of the evening and all night without any additional heat.  We put a down comforter on top of our regular bedding and slept comfortably.  (I think it was 30 or 35 degrees outside.)

By 6:00 am, our house had only dropped to 58 degrees.  I think I learned that it would take more than 12 hours to really start feeling too cold, it looks like my house retains heat pretty well for a short time.

We turned the furnaces back on Monday morning.

(To my ward: Please email me with your experiences and what you learned.  I will post them anonymously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment