Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

To my ward: Give me empty soda pop/juice bottles

I am putting out this request to my ward:


Along with a couple of 55 gallon barrels, I also use empty clean soda pop or juice bottles to store water in my home.  I have enough bottles myself.  But I have heard of others in our ward who want to start storing water, but they rarely drink soda pop or juice.  

If you don't need your empty bottles, please give them to me so I can start providing them to other people in the ward.

Remember, these need to be plastic food grade jugs or bottles which held juice or soda pop.  We don't want milk jugs (they disintegrate rapidly, and it is impossible to get all the milk residue out) or anything which contained non-food products.



P.S.  In case you are wondering why anyone would want to fill empty bottles with tap water instead of buying bottled drinking water, remember:  Only a small portion of your stored water will be for drinking and cooking in a disaster.  The vast majority of it will be for bathing, washing dishes, laundry, washing hands.  

So even if you buy all your drinking water, please store much more than that cheaply by refilling empty containers.

The Church recommends storing a minimum of 2 weeks worth of water, which equals 1 gallon per person per day  (14 gallons per person).  

But believe me, that is NOT ENOUGH.  Every time I have practiced, it is much more do-able to have at least 3 gallons of water per person per day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment