Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

"There will come a time when there isn't any store"

We went to the cannery a few days ago, I feel extremely happy we did that.  Every day that goes by, I am feeling more urgent about food storage and other preparations.  I have been stopping by Goodwill at least every week, buying kids shoes for all different sizes, kids coats, snow boots, baby clothing for my grandchildren.  

  I can't keep from thinking about President Kimball's statement, 

"I remember when the sisters used to say, 'Well, but we could buy it at the store a lot cheaper than we can put it up.' But that isn't quite the answer, is it?....Because there will come a time when there isn't any store."  (April 1974 Welfare Session.)

So I have been making a list of things that we would really suffer without.  If there were no stores open, and maybe the electrical grid is down, we would already want to own our year's supply of food, but also a lot of other things such as shoes, coats, zero-degree sleeping bags, sewing machine needles, lantern mantles, bug spray.  

Try to get a different mindset, and think of things that you just can't live without, and buy a few while our stores are all open, because as President Kimball said, it won't always be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment