Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Possibility We Won't Have Water After a Hurricane

When planning for a hurricane, we have to plan for the worst-case scenario, so what will you do if there is no water coming out of your faucet, or if the water is contaminated?

If you have a well, the water is pumped up with an electric pump. So no electricity = no water.

If you have a septic tank, and it is uphill from your house, the sewage is pumped uphill with an electric pump, so you wouldn’t be able to flush at all. For you, no electricity = no flushing.

For those of us on city water, if the water treatment plant gets flooded, the water will be contaminated.

During Fran, my house and my friend’s houses had water, but the city of Zebulon did not.



You need to store water.

Buy water or store it in clean containers. You can buy water or wash out sodapop or juice bottles and fill them with tap water.

Our city water is chlorinated, so provident living.org says you don’t have to add bleach or anything to it.

"If water comes directly from a good, pretreated source, then no additional purification is needed; otherwise, pretreat water before use. Store water in sturdy, leak-proof, breakage-resistant containers. Consider using plastic bottles commonly used for juices and soft drinks."


Be sure to store at least 1 gallon per person per day for cooking and drinking, plus 1 gallon per person per day for washing. That equals 2 gallons per person per day.

For Wayne and I and Tara and Zac for 9 days, that is 72 gal. (4 people x 2 gallons per day x 9 days = 72 gallons.)

(Our general authorities have suggested that we should have 2 weeks of water stored, I just used 9 days as the amount we might need after a hurricane.)

Where to store water?
Where can I store 72 gallons of water? I just store it all over my house. There’s a little space behind my sofa where the drapes hang. I can store 50 bottles behind there, which equals 25 gallons.



And all around the edge of my master bedroom closet, I have put bottles under the clothing. I can store 38 bottles in there, that is 19 gallons. That is 44 gallons just in those two places. Plus I have them hidden in a lot more places too.

No comments:

Post a Comment