Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How many cans fit under a bed?

My mom went to the cannery in the state where she lives, and with a few helpers, canned 192  #10 cans.  (#10 are the big size, like a shortening can or coffee can.)  They were packed six to a box, so she had 32 boxes like this one.

She came home, pulled her mattresses and box springs off, and took apart the metal rails that held up the box springs.  She arranged 16 boxes in a single layer under a double bed, then added the box springs, the bed skirt,  and the mattress.

She did the same with her queen size bed, and got another 16 boxes under that one.

She got rid of the metal rails, because she didn't need them anymore.  All the weight of the beds was resting on the boxes/cans.

So the answer is:  You can fit 96  #10 cans under a double or queen-size bed.

I testify to you, that where there is a will, there is a way.  If you want food storage, you will find a way to make it fit in your house.

P.S.  I realize that her cans of food will be difficult to get out.  But thats another story.  Personally, I keep the metal rails and just put individual cans under the bed, not in boxes.  That way it is easier for me to  reach under there and pull cans out.  Or, more commonly, I ask one of my children to climb under there and pull one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment